Euro trip

It's been a while. Lol.
Jess and I are currently on a whirlwind tour of Europe, starting in Amsterdam, then Munich, Berlin (for xmas), Bern, Venice (For new year), Florence, Rome, and finally, Paris.
We left Adelaide on Saturday, after waiting in the airport for way too long.
We flew on Malaysian Airlines, which was pretty good.
Watched Crazy, stupid, Love with Steve Carrell and an excellent bollywood film, Singham!
After 7 odd hours in that flying coffin, we arrived in KL airport, tired and weary, numb bums and desperate for some Wifi.
We had some satay and Mango juice during the 3 hour wait, then relaxed in some sofas in the samsung lounge, watching Unstoppable and attempting to make a post on facebook for about an hour (turns out I sent it 3 times).
Then after the crazy long wait, we got on a KLM Boeing 777 to Amsterdam.
This flight took 12.5 hours... I can't recommend this to anyone.
Gladly I slept for most of the journey, but constant crying babies did not help here.
I ended up watching The Hangover 2 just before we landed; that shit's stupid.

We arrived in Amsterdam at 5:50am local time, and quickly left the airport; security and customs were pretty much non existant. We caught the train to Amsterdam Centraal station and found our hotel was within eyeshot of the station. Convenient.
As it was about 6:30 am when we arrived, we stowed our bags and waited in the warm hotel until about 10 am in the lobby, as all the shops are shut on a Sunday until then.
We organised a hop-on-hop-off tour from the front desk of our hotel, got tickets for the Van Gogh museum, the Rijksmuseum, and a canal cruise. We caught the bus from a few streets over to the museum district and went through the Rijks museum first. This was mainly full of Rembrandt's work and old dutch royal navy art. It was pretty great. The Night Watch was frakking huge and the detail was amazing, especially for a philistine like me.
We then walked over to the Van Gogh museum next door. Van Gogh is not my favourite artist, but there were some amazing pieces there. I bought a t-shirt of the smoking skeleton, because it's cool.
From here we went and had some lunch at a cafe. I had Profierjes and hot chocolate and Jess had Kwark with fruit and musli and hot chocolate.
We then went to a diamond museum and factory, where they show you how they cut diamonds. Pretty cool, but they just want you to buy stuff.
As we had now been up for around 30 hours (apart from a brief kip on the plane) we were almost passing out with tiredness. We then jumped on the bus again and took the rest of the route back to our hotel. We grabbed some fries with mayonaisse from a local shop and went back to our hotel room.
We pretty much got ready for bed, put on a Louis CK show and fell asleep before it even began.

The next day we got up at about 8:30, after 12 hours sleep, and tucked into the awesome breakfast at the hotel.
We organised some tickets for the Heineken Experience, booked some push bikes and rode off towards the Anne Frank Haus. The ride was great. Cold, but great. We waited for about 15 minutes to get into the house, but damn, it's a sad place. The cunning of those who attempted to escape the Nazis is amazing.
We then rode all the way over town to the Heineken Experience, a tour of their old factory, with beer tasting and an interactive display. It was pretty interesting, though Jess not being a beer drinker, meant I had to drink her share too.
We then jumped on our bikes, rode around for a bit, before deciding to take the bikes back and head out for some dinner.
First we headed over to The Grasshopper for an aperitif, and then wandered the Red Light District. The hookers advertising themselves in windows is really bizarre.
We then ended up at an Argentinian restaurant, I had hot ribs, Jess had Schnitzel, and then perambulated back to our hotel to attempt to watch Louis CK again. I think I made 45 mins before I fell asleep.

Aside from this, Amsterdam is incredibly beautiful. The only issues we've had so far are a lack of functioning Wifi at our hotel (hence this is being typed in an internet cafe), and falling off our bikes (Jess caught a bike wheel in the tram tracks and I stacked it right outside the bike shop).

Hopefully I'll keep updating daily but if the wifi here is anything to go by, it could be dicey.

No comments: