Today we woke up at about 8:30 with the Colosseum in mind. We had our continental breakfast, a bowl of cornflakes and a croissant for me, and caught the underground to the colusseum. As we had a 'Roma Pass' we went straight in; the line for tickets went 2/3rds of the way around the Colosseum. That place is amazing. The stories of the place are amazing and definitely something to behold. After about 2 hours there we went across the road to the Roman Forum and explored the ruins for about 3 hours. I think I took about 3-4 hundred pictures. We then found a place nearby for lunch, where I had a wild boar pasta and Jess had an artichoke lasagne. For some reason I'd decided to only wear my hoodie today, a grave mistake I'm afraid. It was freezing. Yesterday I was walking around at night with only a tshirt on, having to carry my goose-down jacket as I was sweating my butt off. There were tens of thousands of people in the shopping area. We followed a stream of people into a giant square where there was a market, but it was impossible to move. It was like being in a mosh pit at a concert, only these people were trying to get into a giant basilica. We headed back to the shopping area walking around looking for stuff to buy, possibly a jumper, when we accidentally ended up at the spanish steps at sunset. We climbed the stairs, took some photos and just as we were about to leave, some opera singers started performing a series of 'hits' for about an hour, so we got a free concert while I was freezing to death. By this time everything was closing so we got some cheese, bread, meat and beers from a supermarket and headed back to our hotel as we have to get up early tomorrow to visit the Vatican.
No comments:
Post a Comment