Day 3 - Day in the Museum

Today was entirely devoted to the British Museum, and what a day it was. We arrived at just on 10am and left at 5pm having seen every part of this incredible place. Seeing the Rosetta Stone was amazing, and something I've now ticked off my bucket list. Add to this the phenomenal treasures this museum houses, not without controversy I might add, and it was really a day of trying to absorb wonder after wonder. The Parthenon wing was both astonishingly beautiful and also problematic, as I've never been entirely convinced that these treasures belong here in London rather than the Acropolis, and the accompanying explanations are quite British in their take on the issue. In spite of this, the stunning presentation was epic and considered.

Other highlights included seeing Cleopatra, the head of Rameses, Mesopotamian cuneiform friezes, Viking jewellery,  Roman armour and the entirety of the King's Library Wing.

For dinner we went out to Hammersmith to a lovely pub for some Shepherd's pie and burgers, then we made our way back to our hotel. A brilliant way to spend our sixth anniversary in London :)

No comments: